The Department of Psychiatry at the Emory Wesley Woods Hospital is the home for the Adult Psychiatry Inpatient Unit, the Geriatric Inpatient Psychiatry Unit, and the Partial Hospital Program (Transitions). These services provide mental health care to adult and geriatric patients in the greater metropolitan Atlanta area as well as a tertiary referral source throughout the southeast.
- Our inpatient medical psychiatric unit is located at 1821 Clifton Road in the Wesley Woods Hospital. This inpatient unit admits approximately 750 distinct patients per year. Along with routine psychiatric inpatient care, this staff is expert in refractory medical –psychiatric illness. The unit serves as a primary training site for PGY-II residents, medical students and PA students.
- Geriatric Inpatient Unit: The Geriatric Inpatient Unit is a 22 bed unit that has recently been renovated. The unit specializes in the evaluation and management of mood disorders including therapy, pharmacology and electroconvulsive therapy. The average annual number of admissions approaches450. The average daily census is about12, and the average length of stay is about 14 days.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): This service provides ECT for inpatients and outpatients. Approximately 200 ECTs are conducted per month and approximately 60% of these are outpatients. The ECT service is both a training program for our residents, fellows, and is the training site for a CME course offered during the year by Dr McDonald.
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): The PHP has over 2000 patient visits yearly, with average daily census of 8-12 patients. The primary focus of this program is depression, psychotic disorders. Mildly demented patients are occasionally included.
- Outpatient Clinic: Outpatient services are comprised of the JB Fuqua Center, and the general geriatric outpatient clinic. Psychiatrists and nurse practitioners provide evaluation and management services. The outpatient practice is expected to move to Executive Park in late August 2014.I3.
- Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility (ALF) Consultation Services: Dr Tune oversees a nursing home consultation service. Dr. McDonald oversees a program focusing on assisted living facilities; nurse practitioners provide consultative evaluations and management services for the residents with mental illness.