The Department of Psychiatry at the Emory Wesley Woods Hospital is the home for the Adult Psychiatry Inpatient Unit, the Geriatric Inpatient Psychiatry Unit, and the Partial Hospital Program (Transitions). These services provide mental health care to adult and geriatric patients in the greater metropolitan Atlanta area as well as a tertiary referral source throughout the southeast.
- Our inpatient medical psychiatric unit is located at 1821 Clifton Road in the Wesley Woods Hospital. This inpatient unit admits approximately 750 distinct patients per year. Along with routine psychiatric inpatient care, this staff is expert in refractory medical –psychiatric illness. The unit serves as a primary training site for PGY-II residents, medical students and PA students.
- Geriatric Inpatient Unit: The Geriatric Inpatient Unit is a 22 bed unit that has recently been renovated. The unit specializes in the evaluation and management of mood disorders including therapy, pharmacology and electroconvulsive therapy. The average annual number of admissions approaches450. The average daily census is about12, and the average length of stay is about 14 days.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): This service provides ECT for inpatients and outpatients. Approximately 200 ECTs are conducted per month and approximately 60% of these are outpatients. The ECT service is both a training program for our residents, fellows, and is the training site for a CME course offered during the year by Dr McDonald.
- Transitions Senior Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): This service is provided Mon - Fri / 10:00am – 2:30pm. It is a structured, short-term, comprehensive outpatient psychiatric service for patients discharging from inpatient units or outpatients experiencing acute symptoms. The program is a group therapy based regimen. It also provides appropriate individual and family counseling sessions as needed. Medication management and neuropsychological testing are also incorporated as needed.
- Transitions Senior Intensive Outpatient Counseling Program (IOCP): Mon, Wed, Fri / 11:30am – 2:30pm. This service has a primary focus on symptom reduction / management, coping and preventive awareness skills. It also assists patients who need extended counseling support and continuation of care for chronic diagnoses.
- Transitions Continuing Behavioral Health Wellness Group: Thursday 1:00pm – 2:00pm. This group draws from the Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT) theory of counseling by helping individuals identify unhelpful ways of thinking, feeling and doing. The primary goal is to help group members facilitate and monitor changes they have initiated at previous levels of care.
- Transitions Adult Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): Mon, Wed, Fri / 11:30am – 2:30pm or 3:30pm – 6:30pm. This service is designed to assists individuals who do not require inpatient or partial hospitalization care. It also has a primary focus on working adults needing schedule flexibility in their care regimen. The program is anchored in group therapy in addition to individual and family counseling as needed.
- Transitions Men’s 60+ Community Support Group: 2nd & 4th Thursday of the month / 4:00pm – 5:00pm. The goal of this free community support group is to provide a safe, comfortable and non-judgmental forum that advances the mental health wellness of senior men through the sharing of experiences, from grief and loss to hopes and celebrations.
- Outpatient Clinic: Outpatient services are comprised of the JB Fuqua Center, and the general geriatric outpatient clinic. Psychiatrists and nurse practitioners provide evaluation and management services. The outpatient practice is expected to move to Executive Park in late August 2014.I3.
- Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility (ALF) Consultation Services: Dr. Tune oversees a nursing home consultation service. Dr. McDonald oversees a program focusing on assisted living facilities; nurse practitioners provide consultative evaluations and management services for the residents with mental illness.