Save the Date – Teaching Portfolio Workshop
The Teaching Portfolio Workshop for the department will be held on Wednesday August 31, 2011 from 9-10:30am. Dr. Kate Heilpern, Chair of Emergency Medicine, who has considerable expertise in this topic, will be the lead speaker. Some of the faculty members from our department who have prepared strong teaching portfolios will also be on the panel: Drs. Ann Schwartz, Erica Duncan, and Mar Sanchez are confirmed presenters. I encourage anyone interested in promotion over the next 3-5 years or mentoring a faculty member planning to pursue promotion to attend the workshop.
After completing his residency at Emory, Fred Wu joined the faculty, based at the Atlanta VAMC. He is now moving to Washington DC to work at the VAMC there.
Major Leadership Appointments, Activities and Achievements
- Dr. Mark Ackerman has been appointed to be the Health Behavior Coordinator for the Atlanta VAMC.
- Eve Byrd went to Liberia earlier this month to help train mental health nurses there.
- Bill McDonald is on the editorial board for the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, just started reviewing on the Interventions Committee for Adult Disorders (ITVA) NIMH study section and continue to review for the Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group.
- Raymond Young was appointed as the Associate Chief of Geriatric Psychiatry.
At the Graduation Program, the following faculty members were honored for their teaching and supervisory endeavors. We are grateful to them for their contributions to training future generations of psychiatrists.
- Medical Student Teaching Award – Marie DeWitt, MD
- PGY 1 Teacher Award – Golden Barnett, MD
- PGY2 Teacher Award – Marie DeWitt
- PGY3 Teacher Award – Tamara Weiss, MD
- PGY 4 Teacher Award – Rickey Gillespie, MD, PhD
- Psychiatry Residency Educator of the Year Award – Adriana Hermida, MD
- Clinical Faculty Supervisor Award – Cheryl Eschbach, MD
- Coles, Claire D. was invited by the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine to present at their annual meeting in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She presented a talked entitled, “ Imaging the Long Term Effects of Drug Exposure in Utero” as part of an ”Clinical Intensive “ education course on “Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Drug Abuse” on May, 10, 2011. She also was invited by Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, to participate in their Rose F. Kennedy Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center, Research Cluster Workshop Series on The Exposome and the Developing Brain, May 16, 2011. She presented a paper entitled, “Neuroimaging of the Brain Basis for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders”. Both presentations are available on the MSACD website at http://www.psychiatry.emory.edu/PROGRAMS/GADrug/
- Fareed, A., Vayalapalli, S., Byrd, S.J., Casarella, J., & Drexler, K. (in press) Safety and efficacy of long term buprenorphine maintenance treatment. Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment (published ahead of print)
- Fareed, A., Stout, S., Casarella, J., Vayalapalli, S., Cox, J., & Drexler, K. (2011). Illicit opioid overdose: Diagnosis and treatment, Invited review, Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment, 5, 17-25 (open access).
- Gauthier, T.W., Brown, L.S., Burwell, L., Kable, J.A., & Coles, C.D. (2011). Tobacco induced severe oxidation of plasma cysteine redox in post-partum females. Journal of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, 4, 119–125.DOI: 10.3233/NPM-2011-2741
- Howell, B.R., & Sanchez, M.M. ( in press). Understanding behavioral effects of early life stress using the reactive scope and allostatic load models. Development and Psychopathology.
- Mehta, D., Gonik M., Klengel, T., Rex-Haffner, M., Menke, A., Rubel, J., Mercer, K.B., Putz, B., Bradley, B., Holsboer, F., Ressler, K.J., Muller-Myhsok, B., & Binder, E.B. (2011). Using polymorphisms in FKBP5 to define biologically distinct subtypes of posttraumatic stress disorder: Evidence from endocrine and gene expression studies. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68, doi:10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.50.
- Sanchez, Mar gave Grand Rounds in the Department of Psychiatry, Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem, NC), “Early Life Stress in Nonhuman Primates: Developmental Consequences”, March 2011. She is an Editorial Board Member for Development & Psychopathology.
- Shen-Miller, D.S., Grus, C.L., Van Sickle, K.S., Schwartz-Mette, R., Cage, E.A., Elman, N.S., Jacons, S.C., & Kaslow, N.J. (2011). Trainees’ experiences with peers having competence problems: A national survey. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 5, 112-121. DOI: 10.1037/a0023824
Honors, Awards, and Rankings
- Scott Firestone, Larry Giustra, and Steve Levy were selected as Atlanta Top Docs by Atlanta Magazine.
Quality and Safety Initiatives
Development Achievement and Capital Campaign Initiatives
Community Benefit Programs and Activities
Resident and Psychology Training Kudos
- Brandon Kohrt has been involved with the Carter Center in their efforts to improve mental health in Liberia. For more details, see a recent update in Internal Medicine News: http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/views/world-wide-med/blog/meeting-mental-health-needs-in-liberia/9c08ae04ec.html
- Lisa Madsen received both the Medical Student Teaching Award and the Outstanding Performance (PRITE) Award at the resident graduation ceremony.
- West, L.M., Davis, T.S., Thompson, M.P., & Kaslow, N.J. (in press). “Let me count the ways.” Fostering reasons for living among low-income, suicidal, African American women. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior.
REMINDER – PLEASE SEND ME A LIST OF ALL OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS, NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL, SO THAT THESE CAN BE SHARED WITH OUR COLLEAGUES IN THE DEPARTMENT. FOR THE NEXT UPDATE, I WOULD LIK TO HIGHLIGHT TALKS GIVEN IN THE COMMUNITY AND COMMUNITY SERVICE. THANKS!
Nadine Kaslow, PhD, ABPP
Vice Chair, Faculty Development