Medical Alert Information
While you can't predict when an emergency may happen, you can be prepared. Maintaining a personal medical binder is key to ensuring you receive optimal healthcare support.
Your Binder should include:
- Basic information (e.g., name, contact information, date of birth, guardianship, etc.)
- Emergency contacts (e.g., healthcare providers, family members, etc.)
- Medical information (e.g., diagnoses, allergies, medications, insurance information, medical history, immunization records, blood type, etc.)
- Vital documents (e.g., Living wills, advance directives, medical power of attorney, and DNR orders).
While maintenance of this binder, with up to date and accurate information is important, it is also best to find a way to ensure your most pertinent information can be easily reviewed.
With this in mind, we developed Your Medical Alert Passport (MAP). This MAP is intended to help hospital staff understand your unique supports “at a glance”. The Guidance Notes that accompany the passport should be referenced to help you complete the MAP with most beneficial information for healthcare professionals.
Other Helpful resources to keep in your Medical Binder or that can be helpful in the event of a hospitalization:
Symbols and Visual Schedules
- Visual Schedule for Adult Inpatient (Hospital Stay)